I've had a lot of free time recently and so I was able to watch a loooot of Asian drama. And, even though I'm crazy about Korean Popculture at the moment, I think is still like Japanese dramas more than Korean dramas. Before someone out there in the www starts to go crazy ass fangirl on me: no, i don't hate K-Drama. I love it! ... I just prefer J-Drama.
Let's do a little K-Drama vs. J-Drama to explain why (just my opinion):
The Pros of K-Drama:
- male leads and often even male supporting actors that make me salivate all over my keyboard.
- better kiss scences (especially recently!!!)
- it seem like they have a higher production budget
- better outfits
- When it comes to romance, nothing beats K-Drama. A lot of super cute scences that make me go all "KYA!" like this one here:
- too many episodes (often I'm super hyped at the beginning but loose interest around episode 12 or 13)
- sometimes horrible dialogues. people repeat themselves over and over withouth really saying what they want to say.
- normal girls falls for super rich guy in almost every drama (it doesn't matter if it's the son of a chaebol or the son of a guy who got rich by producing drugs in Thailand xD). This pattern is used soooo often that it starts to annoy me...a lot.Of course it's the secret wish of almost every girl...but...you know I just think romance can happen between two normal-income people, too.
- every K-Drama soundtrack seems to include 10292498 standard ballads...and I HATE most ballads.
The Pros of J-Drama
- wiiiiiiide range of themes and various different approaches to topics. Bullying, domestic violence, ect... there are no taboos.
- not too many episodes and the episodes are not too long...they just end before you can get bored of them
- J-dramas often have a "message" and I'm the kind of cheesy person who loves that :D
- I think... I've seen a lot more deep and subtle J-dramas than K-dramas. (please don't kill me)
- many Japanese dramas are based on awesome mangas or books and weren't written for TV purposes. In my opinion those dramas tend to have a better story line.
- wacky Japanese humor forever!
- flooded with Johnnys. Don't get me wrong, there are some awesome actors among Johnnys ( like Ikuta Toma or Ninomiya Kazunari), but some of them lack skills a little. (*gets killed by fangirls*
- often a little exaggerated and over the top.
- J-Dramas have a wide range of topics....yes.... but some of the topics just make me think: What the actual frog? A drama about the transsexual dog of a panteologist who has supernatural powers... I wouldn't be surprised if that existed.
- horrible kiss scences. often the lips just barely touching and the actors look as if it hurts like hell. come on.